Q. Do I need a study permit to study in Canada? 

Most students need a study permit to study in Canada, but there are some exceptions.

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
  • Foreign representatives to Canada
  • Members of foreign armed forces

Q. What is the eligibility to study in Canada You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.

You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
  • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Q. When should I apply for my study permit? 

You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the educational institution.

Q. How long it takes for process an application? 

The time needed to process an application to study in Canada may be different at various visa offices normally it takes approximately 3 months.

Q. What is a temporary resident visa? 

A temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Q. Does Medicals Check-up mandatory for study permit?

Yes, Medical Check-up is Mandatory.

Q. Am I allowed to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada during my studies? 

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

  • a valid passport or travel documents
  • a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada and
  • a valid temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa.

If you are a citizen of a designated country and you travel to a country other than the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, you will need a multiple-entry visa to re-enter Canada. If your temporary resident visa has expired or if your visa was only valid for a single entry, you must re-apply for a temporary resident visa at a Canadian visa office outside Canada before you can re-enter Canada.

Q. Can I fill out one form for my entire family if we are traveling together? 

No. Each individual applicant must complete and sign the appropriate form for the purpose of their trip to Canada, including any other supplementary forms as required.

Q. Do my children need to complete the new application form? 

Parents or guardians can assist children in filling out their forms. Parents or guardians must sign the forms on behalf of any children under the age of 18.

However, if your child is aged 18 and over, they must complete and sign their own application forms as well as any other required forms.

Work permits for students 

Q. Can I work while studying in Canada? 

Foreign students can work in Canada during their studies, and after they graduate. In most cases, you will need to apply for one of the student-related work permits, which are required if you want to work in a co-op/internship placement, off campus, or after graduating from your studies (Post-Graduation Work Permit Program)

Q. If I receive an off-campus work permit for how long is it valid? 

Your work permit will generally be valid for the same period as your study permit. It will allow you to work off campus until you complete your studies, as long as you still comply with the program requirements and with the conditions of both your work permit and study permit.

Q. Is there a fee to apply for an off-campus work permit? 

Yes, the fee is C$150.

Q.  How long will it take to process my application of off-campus work permit? 

The Average processing time is approximately 6.5 months but it vary country to country also Individual circumstances may affect the processing time.

They include:

  • Whether you are eligible for the program and
  • Whether your application is complete.

Q. If I am eligible and the institution where I study is participating in the program, can I apply for a job off campus right away, or do I have to wait until I receive my off-campus work permit? 

You can apply for a job right away, but you cannot legally work off campus in Canada until you receive an off-campus work permit. If you begin to work off campus before you receive an off-campus work permit, you could become ineligible to participate in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program. It is illegal for you to work in Canada without a valid work permit.

Q. Are there any restrictions on where I can work or the type of job that I can apply for under the Off-Campus Work Program? 

You will be able to work anywhere in Canada as long as you remain a full-time student with a satisfactory academic standing while classes are in session and you comply with the conditions of your work permit.

In some cases, there may be restrictions on the type of job you can hold. For example, you may be required to undergo a medical examination for some occupations,

such as:

  • Workers in the health services fields
  • Teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
  • Domestic workers or live-in caregivers
  • Workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly or individuals with a disability
  • Day nursery employees and
  • Some agricultural workers.

Q. Are there any restrictions on how many hours I can work once I receive my off-campus work permit? 

Once you receive your off-campus work permit, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus while classes are in session. You can work full time during scheduled breaks, including summer or winter holidays and reading weeks.
While classes are in session, you must be studying full time and retain satisfactory academic standing to keep your off-campus work permit.

Q. I am considering studying in Canada. Can I apply for an off-campus work permit at the same time as I apply for my study permit? 

No, you cannot apply for a study permit and an off-campus work permit at the same time. To qualify for the program, you must already hold a valid study permit, and you must have been a full-time student at a participating institution for at least six of the last 12 months before you apply.

Q. What must I do to extend my stay or change my status (for example, from a full-time student to a full-time worker)? 

To make any changes in your immigration status or to extend your stay in Canada, you must submit an application to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada

Q. Why is the Off-Campus Work Permit Program not available to foreign students when they start their studies? 

The likelihood of students quitting their study program is highest during the first few months of study. Citizenship and Immigration Canada wants to ensure that work permits are issued to legitimate students. When they apply, these students will be required to prove they have been studying full time for six of the last 12 months at a participating institution.

Contact us on Skype @ Sun.Help