Sponsorship Program

Canada Family Class Immigration

To qualify under Canada Family Class Sponsorship:

1. You, the sponsored person must be related to the sponsor and your relationship must be one of the following: 

  • Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner; or
  • Parent or grandparent; or
  • Dependent child; or
  • Brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild who is orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship; or
  • Intended adopted child under 18 years of age; or
  • Other relative, if the Sponsor has no relative listed above and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents (limited to one relative only).

2. The Sponsored Person must have a Sponsor who:

  • Is a Canadian citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident; and
  • Meets the family class sponsorship requirements.

The basic requirements to qualify for sponsorship: 

  • a person must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
  • be at least 18 years of age, reside in Canada,
  • Have sufficient income to support their relatives once they arrive in Canada.
  • A sponsor must enter into a written agreement with the Canadian government to support their relatives for a period of three years for spouses, common-law partners, or conjugal partners, and ten years for other types of relatives

In-land Spousal Sponsorship 
Under normal circumstances a sponsor will be in Canada and the person being sponsored will be in their home country while their application is under consideration. In the case of in-land spousal sponsorship, a person is allowed to wait in Canada. This category only applies to spouses and common-law partners who are in Canada together with their Canadian sponsor.

Sponsorship by a Canadian Citizen Living Abroad 
Another exception to the regular rule of the sponsor being in Canada and the sponsored person being abroad is that a Canadian citizen can choose to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children while waiting with them in their home country. It would then be necessary to show that all parties intend to reside in Canada once the relative gains residency.